Sunday, November 16, 2008

MALAYSIA

KUCHING
HELLO! I'm in Kuching, Malaysia. Since it's my first day here, I've decided to find out more about Kuching.

Kuching actually means cat in Malay, and it is the capital of Sarawak, one of the states in Malaysia. It is located in East Malaysia, that is why it is not possible for us to drive there from Singapore. It is the LARGEST city on the island of Borneo.(Source: Wikipedia)

Yesterday, the driver that drove us from the airport to our hotel told us a little about Kuching too. The main race in Kuching is Ibanese, which is actually a tribe. These Ibanese are usually Christians.

My first impression of Kuching is that it is a very laid back city. The night life here is not very vibrant.

Last night, I had my first taste of the cuisine in Kuching, We ate Hokkien Mee, Cantonese Mee, Bamboo clams, and "Mani Cai". Among all these, I have tried Hokkien Mee and the Cantonese Mee in Malaysia before. the dish "Mani Cai" is also available in many restaurants in Singapore, but the one here is cooked in a different style-it is fried instead of boiled. Kuching is very famous for their Bamboo Clams.

No comments: